Title

Title

Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Scrappy Snowball Sew Along

This is as close to snowballs as I will get in here in Temecula, CA.
Sew along with me each week for the next 3 Months and by the end
February you will have a scrappy snowball quilt to remember Winter 2018.
Each week you will need to make 16 snowball blocks, 8 light and 8 dark.
Here are the cutting details | Lets get started
From a variety of light prints cut 8 | 4-1/2" squares
From a variety of dark prints cut 8 | 4-1/2" squares
From a variety of light prints cut 32 | 1-1/2" squares
From a variety of dark prints cut 32 | 1-1/2" squares

If you would prefer to do all your cutting at one time you will need the following:
From a variety of light prints cut 98 | 4-1/2" squares
From a variety of dark prints cut 98 | 4-1/2" squares
From a variety of light prints cut 392 | 1-1/2" squares
From a variety of dark prints cut 392 | 1-1/2" squares
Those are some big numbers but it will be worth it. 

These quantities will make a 52" x 60" finished quilt.
This is an easy quilt to make larger by making more 
blocks or adding a border.
On 8 light 4-1/2" squares sew a dark 1-1/2" 
square diagonally to each corner.

(You can draw a diagonal line on each small 
square to use a stitch guide, but I just eyeball it)
Do the same to 8 dark squares.
Trim off corners | Press toward dark
Each week I will post a friendly little reminder
to make your snowballs. The finished quilt will be 
posted at the end of February. 


15 comments:

  1. I think there should be a pressing note: Press the dark corners away from the snowball. Press the light corners towards the snowballs. This will allow the blocks to nestle when sewing them together later .... unless using sashing but it doesn't look like it from the picture.

    Thank you for the sew-a-long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to make a snowball quilt (or table runner), so I'm hoping to follow along! I may not get started right away, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like good fun. Lets see how far I get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I'm in Florida, there'll be no real snowballs here, either, so I'll be joining in the quilt-along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like fun! I have never quilted along with you before, but I have been following some of your recent ones - this may be one I do! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will be a great way to use up scraps. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like fun to do, can't wait to get started!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that you can use charm packs, a layer cake, or fat eighths. I will start tomorrow and look forward to your “reminder”.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will you offer a kit? or Starter kit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We offered a kit several months ago. Sorry we no longer have this fabric in the shop.

      Delete
  10. What a great way to use holiday/winter fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your quilt! My eyeballs popped out of my head when I saw that I will be cutting 784 1 1/2" squares! (Not to mention 196 4 1/2" squares!) Looking forward to sewing along with you. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like this is going to be a fun Winter project! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a great way to use us scraps... Love it...xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I will join in. I'm going to try to incorporate all of the triangles that I have saved from previous corners that I have trimmed. I just can't throw them away. Thanks for the quilt along and the reminders. I made your little trees pattern last week and have it hanging on my sewing room wall. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete